Search This Blog

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Ecuador2016 1/6


It's been a long time since I last posted anything, but I am back to blog about my trip to the Andes in Ecuador last summer. Our tour was hosted by Mindo Bird Tour, and along with several other excellent site-specific guides. Since I took so many photos of so many species, I can only pick a few from every location.

Aug. 27, 2017, Quito
Before we started our birding trip, we stopped by old town in Quito to see some old buildings. Many of them in this area have concrete sculptures of different animals on the outside.
Tortoise decoration of a church.
Condor
Quito is almost 3000m above sea level so needless to say there are plenty of hills around. Wikipedia says that hill is called El Panecillo, and the statue is Virgin Mary.
A closer look at the statue.

Sep 29, 2016
Las Gralarias Lodge
We started west of Andes. Right on Mindo Bird Tour's own birding hot spot. The hummingbird feeders here attract a dozen species every day. The one that stood out to me the most is the Violet-tailed Sylph. They are quite abundant unique at the feeders.
Male Violet-tailed Sylph's tail is twice as long as the body.
Violet-tailed Sylph

Edit: Booted Raquettail
female
 Fawn-breasted Brilliant
Orange-bellied Euphonia
male
 female
 Blue-capped Tanager
 White-sided Flowerpiercer
 White-tailed Tyrannulet
 Masked Trogon
these are heard everyday too
male
 female
 Powerful Woodpecker
 Squirrel-tailed Cuckoo
Typo Edit: Moustached Antpitta
interestingly called Grallaria alleni and it was seen at Las Gralarias
Edit: forgot to include pictures of tanagers so here are 2.
Golden Tanager
 Flame-faced Tanager


Mountane Treecreeper
Honestly, I haven't studied treecreepers enough to tell them all apart, just put down the names I heard during some part of the trip.

a few non-birds

Tayra



The exciting adventure doesn't end when the sun goes down. At night, the surrounding environment is a whole new world. For me, the most exciting finds we had at Las Gralarias are these frogs.
Thanks to the resident guide Segundo Imba for working over time to help me find my first South American frogs.
Golden-fleckled Glass-Frog
Doesn't look like it's having a great day after a rainless day. And that's probably why it didn't move very much.

 Pinochio Rain Frog
cool looking snout

 And some other frogs. Feel free to tell me what they are.



 I was also very lucky to find this cicada molting. The colors would probably change after a few hours, but I had to go get some sleep before more lifers show up in the morning.
I will slowly post more pictures in future posts about day 3 and so forth, but can't say when.
Thanks for watching. Enjoy your exotic trips :)



No comments:

Post a Comment